|Yenepoya Research Centre|
|Course Name||Academic Calendar|
|PG Diploma in Multiomics Technologies|
|Short term course in Cell Culture Techniques|
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Bioscience is a post graduation course of Yenepoya Deemed to be University, Mangalore. The Choice based credit system would allow students to develop a strong footing in the fundamentals and specialize in the disciplines of his/her liking and abilities. The broad goal of this program is to enable a student acquire sound knowledge in the subject and develop practical skills to contribute effectively in the fields of academics and research.
Program Outcomes (POs) of M.Sc. Bioscience:
PO1: Acquire knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts of Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Immunology and Toxicology and laboratory skills as applicable to the life science sector.
PO2: Competent enough to use the basic understanding and skills for the emerging areas of Nanobiotechnology, Stem cell Biology, Omics Technology, Bioinformatics and Genetic engineering.
PO3: Acquire understandings of key concepts of research methodology including regulatory and ethical issues and application of statistics.
PO4: Able to generate new knowledge through research projects and analyze, interpret and report the data collected through a research project.
Course Outcomes (COs) of M.Sc. Bioscience:
• Student will be able to differentiate the biomolecules and their importance in the biological system
• Know the importance of pH in normal physiological condition and techniques for macromolecule separation
• Know the importance of metabolic pathways and law of thermodynamics
• Know the importance of enzymes, enzyme kinetics and mechanism of action
• Know the nutritional values of macromolecules & vitamins and minerals and their importance in the biological systems.
Cell & Molecular Biology
• Able to get a comprehensive picture on the types of cells, sub cellular organelles, cell functions, cell division and cell death
• Able to understand the nucleic acid structures, organization of the chromosome, and regulation of cell division
• Able to understand the basic concepts of the central dogma, DNA replication, transcription, translation and post translational modifications.
• Understand the regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes, prokaryotes, and viruses and will be able to explain the roles of repressors and inducers in gene regulation. In addition students will be able to understand the role of key molecular players in epigenetic regulation of gene expression.
• Will know about the cell membrane receptors and signal transduction in a eukaryotic cell.
• Able to distinguish between major classes of microorganisms belonging to prokaryotes and eukaryotes
• To acquire skills in culturing methods, different sterilization techniques and microscopic techniques
• To know the important metabolic pathways of different groups of microorganisms
• Able to apply microbial genetics relevant to modern biology and able to assign microorganisms systematically into taxonomical ranks
• Shall be able to distinguish and demonstrate the beneficial and harmful effect of microorganisms in different fields such as agriculture, medicine and biotechnology
• Understand model systems for genetic studies. Learn about transmission genetics, mutations & chromosomal aberrations.
• Learn about the human molecular genetics, historical facts, genome analysis and mapping, mutations, transgenics.
• Learn about the genetics of diseases, cytogenetics, syndromes, prevalence, epigenetics, theranostics
• Learn about the population quantitative genetics, genetic variation, allele frequency, genetic drift, Hardy Weinberg, Migration
• Able to apply diagnostics genetics, genetic inheritance, variation at genetic level, pedigree, forensics and treatment options
Environment And Health
• To understand environment, biodiversity and natural resources
• To know different types of pollutions pollutants and gap between environment and public health
• To know various and associated health risks
• To describe different pollution control measures
• To know different environmental laws and regulations
• Understanding the concept of nanomaterials and their preparative methods
• To acquire knowledge on polymeric science and its applications
• Understanding the polymer synthesis using different polymerization techniques
• Gain a knowledge on chemical characterizations of bio/polymeric nanomaterials using different analytical techniques
• Understanding the biological application of nanomaterials for drug development
Stem Cells And Developmental Biology
• Gain a knowledge on the mammalian developmental biology in the right perspective
• Understand the importance of energetics in mammalian development
• Understand the cellular potencies
• Understand the regenerative potential and translational aspect using regenerative stem cells and for cancer therapeutics
• Global and National ethics involving various kinds of stem cell research and therapeutics
• To understand the various component of immune system
• To gain knowledge on mechanism of immune system and its regulation
• Be competent to interpret the importance of immunological response
• To acquire knowledge on various animal models used for immunological studies
• To describe various immunological techniques
• Learn the basic concepts, different forms of toxicity and biotransformation mechanisms
• Describe common pollutants and their mechanism of action
• Know the key concepts of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, also understand the various form of drug toxicity
• Assess the applications of toxicology in various fields - Food toxicology, Forensic toxicology, Cosmetic toxicology and Ocucpational toxicology
• Understand the various techniques of toxicity evaluation and learn the guidelines for regulatory requirements
• Understanding the research practices and good laboratory practices
• Understanding the advanced software tools, and maintenance scientific record.
• Enhance their communication skills and provide them a platform to overcome their shortcomings and strengthen them to face the competitive world.
• Understanding about innovations, entrepreneurship, startup companies and product development
• Introductory understanding of research methodology, its significance and scientific methods used in research
• Basic understanding on how to define a Research Problem and to derive a research hypothesis
• Understand ethical and regulatory bodies and their role in shaping Research
• Learn about Intellectual Property Rights and their issues in Research
Systems Biology And Omics Technology
• To learn about the technologies to analyse genome, transcriptome and epigenome
• Understanding the basics of proteomics experimental pipeline and data analysis
• Be competent to perform mass spectrometry based proteomics experiment
• Familiarise with Multi-omics data integration
• Familiarise with basics of mass spectrometry based metabolomics experimental workflow and data analysis
• Learn about the enzymes and vectors in gene cloning
• Gain knowledge on types of Polymerase Chain Reaction and its applications
• Understand the gene cloning methods and its applications
• Familiarise with methods of screening of sequence and gene expression database and identify promoter and reporter genes, and utilize PCR techniques for gene cloning
• Gain insights into the concepts of Genetic Engineering of living organisms
• Learn basics of programming, search databases, phylogenetics, next gen sequencing
• To gain knowledge on structural bioinformatics, molecular docking and protein databases
• Perform proteomic, metabolomic data analysis, normalization techniques, metabolite identification
• To learn how to collect, organize and represent data; determine the range and variation in the data
• To learn how to form statistical hypothesis and differentiate it from research hypothesis; testing statistical hypothesis against real-life biological data
Cell Culture Techniques (P)
• Understand the basics of animal cell culturing including infrastructure, equipments and materials and sterile technology
• Able to prepare mammalian cell culture media under sterile conditions
• Able to plate the mammalian cells of established cell lines, trypsinize the cells and cryopreserve the cells followed by cell revivals
• Able to perform a lymphocyte culture and karyotype analysis
• Able to perform basic cell culture analytics such as cell counting using Trypan blue, MTT assays and clonogenic assays for cell proliferation